Wednesday, June 6, 2007

June 5, 20007


Last night (6/5) I was thinking about when would be a good time to show my kids (mainly Carly) some of the great movies of our time, that aren't appropriate for children.

  • The Doors
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Pulp Fiction
are just a few that came to mind. 18? Man, I don't want to wait that long. That's 11 more years! 17? When is a good time? I continued to watch Apocalypse Now Redux. Then I started thinking, maybe 25 would be better. I was getting the impression that God was telling me not to expose my kids to this kind of movie. Then I came to the conclusion that if it's not OK for my Carly at any age, then I shouldn't even be watching this...

I didn't really like that kind of thinking; not that I should be allowed to see whatever I want, but just the mere fact that I really like that movie (and others like it).

For the past few years I have been trying to filter what I see. I've been using film reviews (usually designed to inform parents of what not to show their children) to help me decide what not to see; e.g. Saw.

The struggle I keep having though, is movies like these are true art forms that represent our culture. The problem with these art forms, is that the all contain parts that are just inappropriate. I think I will just keep my current plan: No >PG movies until at least 13. That'll give me another 6 years...

1 comment:

Mike Iley said...

Mark, What review source do you use to screen the movies you watch?