Friday, February 29, 2008

GTD, yeah right!

I can't seem to get anything done. I feel like I get home and my brain turns to putty. That makes it even more frustrating for Laura, I'm sure. Her todo list for yesterday & today are ridiculous. Here's a sample:
  • Go grocery shopping
  • Go pick up extra cookies
  • Drop off check at Sherri's house for Brownies
  • Go to Co-op
  • Teach children
  • Make dinner for loving husband
  • Buy stuff at Target

Now, I'm not a woman, so I can't remember all the stuff she has to do, but you can tell by this measly list, it's a lot. Just for reference, here's my list:

  • Buy shims for door, & finish installing door in basement.
  • Get gas
  • Find damn glasses
  • Wash car, damnit
  • Shovel walkway & driveway, apply salt where needed.
  • Buy more rock-salt
  • Pay bills online
  • Renew car registration online
  • Transfer money to checking account to cover car renewal
  • Narrow down digital video camera choices so when tax return comes in, we know what camera to buy
  • Get tax return information to accountant
  • Make sure all tax return information is together
  • Help Carly deliver cookies
  • Spend time with kids...all of them
Now my list looks longer, but it's deceiving. These are things I'd like to get done by the end of the weekend. Laura's list is just for today. And, I don't have a good track record of getting things accomplished. I know there are a bunch of sites out there to help with Getting Things Done, (Lifehacker, 43Folders, etc) but I can't do that. Here's why:

The typical day for me is usually like this:
  • Get out of work, fight traffic to get home. Get pissed off at the people cutting me off trying to get over at the last minute, because they didn't read the signs, because they were on the phone.
  • Walk in the door, yell at the dog, feed the dog, hug all three kids simultaneously, hug the wife, put my coat & other shit away.
  • Try not to fall asleep waiting for dinner; try to help make dinner, eat dinner, instruct children to not stand on their chairs and eat their dinner. Put away dirty/clean dishes, remind children to put their dishes away.
Usually at this point, is the time when we go out to get things done: grocery store, Target, etc. If there's no immediate need to go out, the kids and I default to the TV. This is usually how it goes:
  • Sneak Girl Scout cookie so kids don't see.
  • Relax on couch in front of boob-tube, or play video games with the kids; digest dinner & cookies. I think this is where I lose all ambition to get things done around the house.
  • Watch movie with kids
  • Tell kids to pick up their messes, get pajamas on, brush their teeth, wash their hands
  • Watch more TV with kids
  • Remind kids to get their pajamas on, wash their hands, brush their teeth
  • Turn off TV, listen to kids whine, remind them to get their pajamas on, wash their hands, brush their teeth
  • Clean up dog pee (I don't want to talk about it)
  • Help kids get their pajamas on, wash their hands, brush their teeth
  • Put kids to bed...whew!
  • Kiss kids goodnight, answer 20 questions, kiss them goodnight again.
  • Go sit on couch, watch last TV show or play last video game, or watch rated >PG-13 movie.
  • go to bed.
Now, I know this is a shitty schedule. But it's reality. Notice there's no real bonding with the wife either (nor prayer, but that's a whole other post). Change is hard. I need to formulate an action plan. Check back later for said action plan. Oh, any ideas for said plan are also welcome. :)


Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: