Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Parenting is more than just the "do's" and the "don't's"



Last Wednesday (10/29/08) I took the girls out to dinner at National Coney Island. We were out and had the opportunity to grab some food outside the house for a change. The kids were pretty excited. They both chatted the whole time, while eating, & coloring on their place-mats. Little Tessa was going on & on about how she wanted her birthday there... (I need to note that this conversation was funny in and of itself, but is not the main focus of this post.) She eventually decided that she wanted to go to Red Robin because they sing, cheer, & bring dessert. Buried in this discussion though, I could see she just wanted to go out to dinner. ...and not just the whole family, but with me specifically. It broke my heart.

It wasn't long ago that I posted about how I was going to take each of the kids out to breakfast, individually, so we can have some quality one-on-one time. Fears of heart attack, and obesity have stifled my plans. I have come to realize, it's not the meal. It's the time. I'm thinking we could go grocery shopping, for that matter, and have a good time.

The more I think about it though, the more I realize it's state of mind. I need to be aware that wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, I could be spending time with the kids. Logistically this could get a little crazy, but I think if it's in my heart, the logistics will follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, that picture is striking. Like what is she really thinking? If I am not at work, I am with my kids pretty much. Yet, I don't always feel it is quality time. We did take the just the girls to dinner the other night. They loved it but is was a quick way to blow $60.00. Maybe we all shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. Your just thinking about wanting to spend special times with your kids makes you a great dad!!