Monday, June 2, 2008

You're probably less-free than you think you are...



Memorial day weekend, I got the chance to shoot my buddy's kid's bow. Before this, I hadn't had much opportunity, if at all, to shoot a bow. I had a great time. The following week, I made a point to go to the local archery shop to check out their used bow selection, and see if I could pick up some useful information from the shop guy(s). I was able to shoot a new Ross bow, and boy was it smooth. The whole experience really got my blood pumpin'. It is not my nature to buy anything over $50 on-the-spot, so I left...excited.

While I was in church this past Sunday, I jotted down some notes: things I needed to take care of, or things I just wanted to remember to do. I decided that I needed to research the city ordinances regarding shooting a bow in one's backyard. On to the city website I went.

After sifting through many, many pages of legalese, I found what I was looking for. Shooting of arrows is prohibited. I figured as much, from suburbia; but that's not the area of the law that was concerning to me. There are several instances where what some would consider trivial rules, are prohibited by law. The couple that come to mind are swearing in public, or on school grounds is punishable by up to 90 days in jail or $500 fine, or both; and city parks are restricted to residents, those employed within the city limits, or bona fide guests thereof. That last one is punishable although, I forgot the punishment.

I'm sure this is the tip of the iceberg. And the laws of probability suggests that the majority of the cities are like this, and some with more asinine laws that the few that I have stated. I shudder to think...

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: