Friday, April 18, 2008

...stupid happiness.

Why does happiness seem so illusive? We often try so many things to find happiness, but many attempts are in vain. We find a new job, buy a new house, buy a new car, get a promotion (i.e. get more money), but yet we still are unhappy.

Laura tells me that I need to distinguish the difference between
happiness & joy. Joy is lasting, whereas happiness is fleeting. I
suppose that's true. She says that "I should be happy (read: joyful) in a cardboard box..."



Yes, the right answer is that God brings us joy. The problem is that I don't really know in my heart what that looks like. That's why I use "happiness."

This gets even more complicated when you have to factor in the happiness of the wife & kids... Laura & I have spent, and are going to spend a lot of time discussing this very thing.

As a man/father/husband, I have a huge responsibility. They say that you (I) cannot be held responsible for others' happiness, but my choices as the head of the household directly affect their happiness. So, in a sense I am responsible for their happiness.

More to come...


Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: